This was in today’s paper. Desire’ attended the Science Olympiad on a team, and Ana attended as an alternate. Great job girls, we are proud of you!
Clancy School middle school students captured first place for small schools at Montana State University’s annual Science Olympiad in November.
This was the fifth time the school has captured first place for small schools.
And the win was part of a sweep by Helena area schools of first place awards at the 24th annual Olympiad.
Helena High School took first place in the high school division and C.R. Anderson first in the middle school division.
From building catapults, bridges and gliders to testing their knowledge on astronomy and ecology — the Clancy School students excelled, garnering 173 points.
The Olympiad includes 15 different events, said Ted Polette, who teaches 8th grade science, chemistry and physics at Clancy. He’s taken a Clancy team to the event for the past 20 years.
Although Polette is also a sports coach at the school, the Science Olympiad “is the highlight of my school year, each year,” he said.
Assistant coach for the Clancy team, Daryl Mikesell, said the Olympiad gives students who are oriented toward science projects an opportunity to show their strengths. Mikesell assisted Polette with the coaching.
The event also gives students a chance to observe science students from around the state. Nearly 1,000 students participate.
“The future is bright with these students,” he said. “It’s electrifying.”
Event, team participants, place:
• Road Scholar, Abbie Caldwell and Nick Burkland, 1st
• Reach for the Stars, Desire’ McDougall and Kirsten Marble, 4th
• Fossils, Kirsten Marble and Darcie Caldwell, 4th
• Trajectory, Nick Burkland and Ryan Olsen, 6th
• Environmental Chemistry, Serena McDaniels and Kirsten Marble, 7th
• Amphibians and Reptiles, Stephen Murphy and Jennesa Williams, 8th
• Disease Detectives, Rebecca Mixan and Serena McDaniels, 8th
• Wright Stuff, Jonah Elston and Stephen Murphy, 9th
• Write it — Do it, Darcie Caldwell and Abbie Caldwell, 11th
• Dynamic Planet, Abbie Caldwell and Darcie Caldwell, 13th
• Experimental Design, Rebecca Wacker, Ryan Olsen and Desire McDougall, 15th
• Elevated Bridge, Ryan Olsen and Nick Burkland, 21st
• Ecology, Kayla Anderson Rebecca Wacker, 21st
• Pentathalon, Austin Lindsay, Ryan Seyler, Stephen Murphy, and Kayla Anderson, 21st